2.20.2007

My Job in a different company

Well, after the training period I realised in a big cosmetic group in Paris, waiting for my first job as a cosmetic formulator I worked first as a chemist technician where I had to measure viscosity and elasticity of polymers used in painting for drinking bottles (but also all the painting used on biscuit boxes..).

This was job was not directly in the field I graduated from, it was still very interesting because in cosmetics too, those kind of analysis are used to determine or understand the comportement of fluids or solids. As a technician you should enlarge your knowledge about methods of analysis because a product for the consumer has to be safe, and to be sure it is, I guess you imagine tests are made (at least to be sure of the stability of the product).

Actually the job was based at the University I graduated from, and I was managed by the Professor in charge with the branche I graduated from : "La licence professionnelle formulation cosmétique" (The Professional Bachelor 'Cosmetic Formulation'), Mr Michel Grisel.
Through this little message I want to thank again Mr Grisel for his kindness and everything I learned during the formation but also during my job as an analytical technician.
Mr Grisel has majored in Rheology and was a teacher at the University of Le Havre until he became Professor last year!! And he is only in his early 30's! Congrat' by the way
Ah, and he was the one in charge with the "Licence Professionnelle Formulation Cosmétique" I attended to.

So, after this very first experience interesting and with a very friendly atmosphere I found my very first job as a cosmetic technician formulator in mid june 2006. I was expected to finish work in the University until late july but thanks to Mr Michel Grisel, I have been able to begin work in Paris in june, so I am grateful and thankful to him. (Merci!! hé hé)

I was very excited about my next future experience! It was just like something you are so much expecting that in the end you're not totally sure if you are excited or stressed up!!

But I guess I was very stressed upon the fact I had no way to resid in Paris yet! Finding a studio or an apartment is not an easy matter..especially when you have to start work one week later!! So actually for the two first weeks, I had to go to work by train ( seriously I was exhausted but you always have to remember others might be living twice harder the pain you feel somewhere else... so I usually just try to never complain anyhow.

Fortunately, my father knows someone in Paris who had a studio, so he asked him if I could be the next lodger... So here was the beginning of my new life in Paris!

Let's go back to my first day of work. I first met with my boss, in charge with the laboratory of formulation. She is in her late 20's and was very worried about the good fonctionement of the laboratory.
Céline explained me a lot about the system and what my role was and I was quickly enrolled in my position.
The laboratory in itself is small and has its own account, but it belongs to a big group actually.

Contrary to my training period, I had to work more with people around and especially the Marketing Service. Their work is to contact customers in order to propose them a range of interesting products which will lead to a contract between the two sides. Of course, this is not their only task, but the most important one in the beginning. And this step will lead the laboratory to work and formulate products in order to present them in their packages, to the customers, who will then decide if the products respond to their quality and price criteria.

So, as you understood, if customers don't like the products or if the prices are too high, then you lose and you can forget about the contract. Of course this is a "way of work" and it is not the only one. For this company I worked for, this way of work is the most frequently seen.

But in other case, the company doesn't have to "win" a customer. Some customers the company already is engaged with will ask for some products and detail their needs. So we all work closely and with the same goal : making great products the customer will be proud of.

So of course the tense is different when you have to "win" the customer (not the customer who buys the products in a shop but a potential customer whose role is having cosmetic products to sell in their supermarket or in luxurious shops ^^), because you have competitors.
And having competitors means having maybe better prices propositions from the adversal side !

So the slogan is : "Better products with better prices and greatest quality!"

It was very interesting in the way you are always making all the best to take all those points in consideration. Although it was not easy, a beginner has to remember experimented people are around and you have to consult them when you feel like you don't have the answer, especially if the non-question-asked will lead to sad consequences. So when you feel like you don't have the answer or can not find it by yourself try and consult people around you, although you feel they are not really "hot" about it. That's the best way to learn, if of course tons of questions are not asked in a same day!! lol

Ok, so for my first task, I was asked to formulate a wide range of products (11 products). They were cleaning products like toners, eyes demak up.. and skincare products for facial and body.
A lot of things to learn and a lot of tasks to deal with.
The whole work had to be done in three weeks, containing research about formulas, prices, formulation process and stockage or package of products which will be finally taken away by the Marketing service who will then go and present them to the Customer.

At first I felt like a tone of pressure because everything went just so fast and lots of things and computer datas and logiciels had to be memorized as daily encountered.
Also, this company can not afford "errors" since this was not a big structure in itself, so you have to keep in mind that saving money in all you do is very important. The hardest maybe is that you have to save money on formulas so choosing the cheapest raw materials without neglecting the good quality is a crucial task. Of course, then, saving money in all you spare and you could have spared is a comportement you should adapt anywhere else you work.. isn't it ;-)
But just like anybody you just have to take the stress away and make the most of your competences and time.

Finally, everything went fine, well not without pain but it worthed it. When you see all the work and effort you made in those, and you see the result, you are relieved and glad too ;-)

Of course there were different things asked during those months I spent in this company, and I had the opportunity to deal with shampoos, shower gels, handcream, serum for hair, suncare products, plus the skincare products and cleaning ones I described above.


So it was a great experience, and I guess I was very lucky to start dealing with all the tasks required for accomplishing my work. I also worked with different services, just like the ones I described in the chapter "My training period experience".


Note : Special thanks to Michel and Céline for their trust in me and all the things I have been able to do with their help and smile :-) Merci encore.

No comments: